DWI FAQS Attorney Information Attorney Fees Contact Us MN DWI Survival Tips

Frequently Asked Questions in Minnesota DWI/DUI/Impaired & Drunk Driving Cases


  1. What is the difference between "DUI" and "DWI"?

    "DUI" typically means "Driving Under the Influence." This may or may not include a specific alcohol level. All that is required is that the Prosecutor show that the driver was impaired by alcohol.

    "DWI" typically means "Driving While Intoxicated." Intoxication is usually defined as a prohibited alcohol level (.08 in Minnesota).

    To complicate matters, Minnesota uses the term "Impaired Driving" which can be either impairment or a prohibited alcohol level. For more information, please go to our Common Terms Used in Drunk Driving Cases page.

  2. Will I be able to get my MN DWI case dismissed because I was not read my Miranda rights?

    Probably not. But if you were interrogated after being placed in custody, your statements may not be used against you.

  3. Will I go to jail?

    It is always a possibility, but not always a probability. Although there are mandatory minimum penalties for certain repeat offenders, many of my clients have often been able to avoid these and stay out of jail.

  4. What penalties am I facing if convicted?

    There are a variety of possible criminal and administrative penalties depending on many factors. More info is on my DWI penalties page.

  5. I had two alcohol offenses when I was younger. What will happen to my license if I have a third conviction?

    Depending on when the prior offenses occurred you could face a minimum 90 day revocation and up to an indefinite cancellation of your driving privilege.

  6. What makes a  DWI a felony?

    Under Minnesota Law, a felony is any DWI offense for which more than 1 year in jail may be imposed. See my felony DWI information page.

  7. This is my third DWI within ten years, what will become of my license?

    You could face a minimum 90 day revocation and up to an indefinite cancellation of your driving privilege.

  8. There was an injury in my accident, what other penalties am I facing?

    If you are charged with Criminal Vehicular Operation or Vehicular Homicide, the charges can be very serious.  Refer to my criminal vehicular operation page.

  9. How many hours of alcohol classes will I have to take?

    This will depend upon the recommendation of your Chemical Use Assessment (CUA). In some cases, you may need to complete treatment before the Department of Public Safety (DPS) reinstates your license. These can range anywhere from no recommendation to long-term treatment.

  10. What will happen if I do not complete the conditions ordered by the Court?

    You will go to jail to serve any time that was suspended for violating the conditions.

  11. I lost my Minnesota license. May I obtain a license in another state?

    Probably not.

  12. Can I get a limited license or work permit?

    Yes, you can apply for a limited driver's license if your license has been revoked for an implied consent violation. Please see my Limited Drivers License page for details.

  13. What is a B-Card restricted license?

    It's a license with specific restrictions from the Department of Public Safety. See my b-card license page for details.

  14. How much are the fees for license reinstatement?

    See my Minnesota license reinstatement fees page for details.

  15. Are there special considerations and penalties for someone who is underage and arrested for DWI?

    Yes, see my Under 21 Penalties page.

  16. What other special vehicle circumstances have different DWI laws and issues to be aware of?

    There are special considerations and unique and specific penalties if you are arrested for a DWI while driving a Commercial Vehicle, School Bus, Off-road Vehicle or Watercraft, of Flying While Intoxicated.

  17. If I obtain an international driver's license, may I drive in Minnesota, even though my Minnesota license is revoked?

    No. DO NOT MAKE THIS MISTAKE! See my International Driver's License Page.

  18. How Long Are DWI Offenses Kept on a Minnesota Driving Record?

    Records of implied consent license actions and DWI convictions must be kept on the official driving record for at least 15 years. In practice, the DPS keeps these records for a driver's lifetime.

  19. Am I a bad person, because I was arrested for DWI?

    No, DUI/DWI cases are the number one crime committed by non-criminals (persons with no prior criminal record). But you are well advised not to drink and drive in Minnesota - the risks are too great, and MN DUI/DWI penalties can be strict.

  20. If I drink alcohol, how much is too much?

    Please refer to my Breath Alcohol Calculator to determine how many drinks may indicate legal impairment. If you are concerned about your drinking, check out this alcohol screening site.

  21. What if I burped or regurgitated within twenty minutes prior to blowing?

    The breath machine may have read alcohol from your mouth or stomach rather than your lungs. The result may be incorrect. A similar problem occurs with dentures or acid reflux disease (GERD).

Call me today at 612-334-3342 for a free MN DWI/DUI case legal consultation.

Douglas V. Hazelton, Attorney at Law

7900 Xerxes Avenue South
Bloomington, MN 55431
Phone: 612-334-3342

MN DWI Sitemap

Hire An Experienced DWI / DUI Attorney

Warning: Here's What You Need to Know About Public Defenders Before One is Appointed For Your DUI

Protect Your Rights Against A DUI / DWI In Minneapolis Minnesota

Ten Mistakes
How to avoid the 10 biggest mistakes most people make after being arrested for DWI.

MN DWI Laws & Case Tips
53 Things YOU Need to Know about Your MN DWI Case that NO ONE is Telling YOU!

Minnesota Criminal and Administrative DWI Penalties
The penalties you are facing under Minnesota DWI laws

Five Tips for Hiring a DWI/DUI Lawyer
5 Important recommendations when hiring a lawyer to defend you.

Police Mistakes
14 Common mistakes the police make in DWI arrests...and how they can help you.

What Can I Do to Save My License?
Fight to save your license! If you drive after losing your license, you face substantial penalties.

What Happens After A DWI Arrest?
There are usually both Motor Vehicle and Court Proceedings.

We serve DUI clients in Minneapolis, St. Paul, the Twin Cities metropolitan area and throughout Minnesota.

Lawyer Mistakes
The Top 10 Mistakes Lawyers Make in Drunk Driving Cases...And How To Avoid Them

Information on Minnesota's Implied Consent Laws

BrAC Calculator
Find Out if You Were Drunk When You Were Arrested

Elements of the Crime of DWI under Minnesota Law

Hazelton Law Firm News

Minnesota DUI Laws News

Find a DWI DUI Drunk Driving Lawyer in your state.

The Northland Plaza. Minnesota DWI/DUI . Minneapolis DWI DUI , Twin Cities DWI DUI Attorney

The Wells Fargo Plaza is located just south of the I-494 off of France Avenue. Take I-494 to France Ave. Take France Ave. south to American Blvd. Turn left on American Blvd. We are located in The Wells Fargo Plaza on the left hand side of American Blvd. Click here for driving directions.

Enter your address and get a map to our Minneapolis, MN DWI law office.

External Links


Copyright © DWI Minnesota | Updated by Webopts | Resources